Lesson 20 - Earth, First Chakra and Intuition
An Introductory Course, Designed and Written by Guru Rattana, Ph.D.
One of the most common goals of Kundalini Yoga is to sharpen our intuition. There are many ways to do this that involve all the chakras. In this lesson, I want to give you a few pointers on how to do this by aligning with the earth element and connecting with the energy of Mother Earth.
There are five elements or tattvas - air, water, earth, fire and ether. One of the goals of yoga is to balance and integrate all five elements of our being. Practice of the techniques and postures goes a long way to achieving this goal. However, performance of techniques is only half of the story. We must also cultivate a conscious awareness of the shifts that are taking place. The mechanics are the active aspect of the practice. The awareness is the passive aspect of the practice.
Astrology helps us determine the most appropriate time to work on a particular tattva. While the Sun is in earth signs - Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn - is the most powerful time to align with the earth element - to cultivate the power of the First Chakra and a relationship with the Earth and your body. My Guru Rattana Blog will provide you with current astrological information to help develop your relationship with the elements.
Kundalini Yoga and Intuition
We often associate intuition with the third eye and the mind. The mind is the mental aspect of intuition. The feeling aspect of intuition works through the instinctual self and the senses of the body. This exercise set, which involves using the breath while applying Rootlock at the first chakra (lesson 8), facilitates instinctual awareness. After the exercise, sit or lie very still and simply be aware of the sensations in your body. Over time you will realize that these sensations are a powerful and accurate information system. They are the physical and emotional aspects of your intuitive awareness.
Meditation to Connect with the Earth
Tuning into the energy of the Earth is enhanced while the Sun is in Taurus, Virgo or Capricorn. Cultivating the earth element requires attention to the sensations in the body, to the feet and legs, and to the first chakra or base of the spine. Paying attention to the feeling of gravity and its pull on the body toward the Earth is very useful. The goal is to experience a heaviness that becomes a feeling of stability and stillness.
Working with the first chakra part of Rootlock is a very powerful way to connect with the body and the Earth. The following exercise gives you energy and relaxes the nerves:
(1) Sit in easy pose. Inhale, hold the breath in. Pull and release the anus and perineum 3 or more times. Exhale. Repeat for 1 or more minutes.
(2) Inhale, exhale, hold the breath out. Pull and release the anus and perineum 3 or more times. Inhale. Repeat for 1 or more minutes.
(3) Inhale, exhale, hold the breath out and pull and relax the anus and perineum 3 times. Inhale, hold the breath in and pull and relax the anus and perineum 3 times. Alternate for 1 or more minutes. Stretch legs between exercises as needed.
(4) To end, unite with energy of the Earth and feel the nurturing energy from Mother Earth raising up your spine. Let go, if only for an instant. The union between Earth and Universal Spirit happens when you let go. The union cleanses stress and negativity. Practicing first chakra Rootlock when you are thinking too much or afraid, helps release fear by connecting you to your physical source and by activating your own energy.
Be sure to gently pull the muscles at the anus with the intention of connecting with and receiving energy up from the core of Mother Earth. You will know when you get it, because Her energy is real!
Application During the Day
Use your breath and first chakra rootlock while sitting in your car or at your desk to:
- pull yourself back into your body,
- reawaken your instinctual awareness and
- reconnect you to your earthly source.
- When you are spaced out or need an answer to a question, use rootlock to connect to your instinctual intuition. Be sure to give yourself a moment to sit, feel, and listen.
(For more information about Rootlock in particular, and Kundalini Yoga locks (Bhandas) in general, refer back to Lesson 8)